User Menu

MFA for Educators

Engage your students with the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, to illustrate themes and concepts in any discipline.

Buffet

Start collecting

By the late seventeenth century, French explorers had traversed what would become the state of Indiana, and by the end of the eighteenth century, French fur-trading posts and small settlements dotted the landscape of the Mississippi River's upper valley, a large territory known as the Illinois...

Show Full Description

Inscription

On an interior shelf, added in the mid-nineteenth century to replace the original: "From: Sisters of Providence / St. Marys, Vigo Co."

Provenance

Original owner unknown; acquired later by Saint Mary's of the Woods, Terre Haute, Indiana, founded in 1828, and owned there until the 1920s; later owned by Greg Spurgeon, Terre Haute, Indiana, and sold to Douglas Solliday, Columbia, Missouri; purchased from Solliday by the Museum in 1989.

Credit Line

Gift of Daniel and Jessie Lie Farber and Frank B. Bemis Fund

about 1800

Object Place

Vincennes, Indiana, United States

Dimensions

117.47 x 121.92 x 61.59 cm (46 1/4 x 48 x 24 1/4 in.)

Accession Number

1989.50

Medium or Technique

Yellow-poplar, curly maple, sycamore

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Furniture, Case Furniture and Boxes