Large free-blown footed mug, with circular foot and flat, bulbous stem supporting a wide vase-shaped body; body decorated with five bands of chain decoration on lower portion and applied threading near top; free-blown ear-shaped handle is applied; contains 1821 quarter in the hollow knop of the stem
Descended through the artist's family. Placed on loan to the Museum on August 9, 1972, by William L. Johnston, Winchester, Mass.; descended to his wife Catherine M. Johnston in 1991-92; given to the Museum by their children in 1995.
Gift of William, Nancy and Malcolm in Loving memory of their father William L. Johnston, Great-Great-Grandson of Thomas Cains