Cast gold bird effigy pendant with long beak, trilobed double crest, splayed talons and curled tail. A suspension ring is attached to its chest area, and its body was originally represented by a stone insert (now lost). See 1971.799 for a similar pendant.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase..
Gift of Landon T. Clay