This raised beaker has a bell-shaped form with a thick, applied rim and a splayed, stepped foot.
Engraved "The Gift of / Mrs. Anna Longly / to the / Church of Christ / in Newton Mar. 23. / 1733." on body of beaker in flowing script.
Twice marked "T. A. DAVIS" in roman letters within a rectangle, on bottom of vessel above and below center point.
1973, gift of the First Church of Newton, Mass. to the MFA. The beaker was fabricated in the early nineteenth century, about one hundred years after its donor made her gift. Anna Shephard (about 1677-1758), the daughter of Francis and Sara (Osburne) Shepherd of Charlestown, Massachusetts, married 1) Nathaniel Longley (c. 1676-1732), the son of William and Joanna Longley of Groton, Massachusetts. Within a year after the death of her spouse, Anna Longley married 2) Thomas Hammond, who predeceased her. A beaker, perhaps lost or damaged, or funds for that purpose were probably given to the First Church in Newton by Longley shortly after the death of her first husband, as indicated by the engraved date and her surname.
Gift of the First Church in Newton