inverted bell-shaped beaker has a flaring applied lip and a drawn stepped base, with applied foot rim.
"The Gift of / Deacon William Trowbridge / to / The Church of Christ / in / Newtown / 1744" is engraved below mark on body of vessel.
The mark "Hurd" in a shaped cartouche appears between the lip of beaker and the inscription.
Deacon William Trowbridge (1684 – 1744) was the brother of Margaret Trowbridge (1666 – 1710), whose husband, Ebenezer Stone (1662/63 – 1754), gave the John Edwards tankard to the First Church in Newton (cat. no. 52). Trowbridge’s will, dated July 2, 1744, and proved January 7, 1744/45, included a bequest of £5 to be provided for poor widows in the congregation but made no specific mention of a gift of communion silver. 1973, gift of the First Church of Newton, Mass. to the MFA.
Gift of the First Church in Newton