This heart-shaped banner holder retains its original padded leather backing, with a ring at the top for a leather shoulder strap. A single socket protrudes to hold the shaft of a banner pole or flagpole. There is a chased and punched geometric border.
"Cambridge / 1804 / Lt. Infantry" engraved on top at edge
According to family history and tradition, the original owner was Lemuel Pope (1777 – 1851) of Cambridge, Massachusetts. It descended in the family to the eponymous donor of Washington, D.C.
Gift of Lemuel Pope